Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Two Weeks Down, Two Months To Go 
“If you start to take Vienna – take Vienna!!”
Napoleon Bonaparte – on keeping focused on a goal, applying overwhelming force, and not getting distracted.
 

Please check out my formal journal at CURE Magazine, a world wide publication found in every oncologist's office. They have asked me to share my transplant experience. I also encourage you to read this post: How My Cancer Might Save Your Life. It's a quick read, and if you pay close attention, you'll be a different person afterwards. 100% guaranteed, or triple your money back.



March 25, 2015

Tomorrow will start my third week out of the hospital, five weeks since my transplant, and six since I left Titusville for Tampa. The difference in my health and lifestyle from my last post, a week ago, is remarkable. Meaning I'm going to remark on it. Literally. More than I just did.

A week ago, I was blessed to participate, via remote control, as my group of friends, co-workers and fellow runners/walkers did the KSC Runway 5K/2 Mile walk. They did it at KSC, I phoned it in from Moffitt. Last Thursday, my feet were still too puffy for shoes, so I did the hallways at Hope Lodge, 30 laps for two miles, in my slippers. I was also still tied to my IV pump, so I carried it in its fetching over the shoulder case. What a great boost it was for me to see pics of my team, many of whom were part of last year's run, together and remembering me.

The next morning, Friday, my feet were back to almost normal. I managed shoes, and did a short walk outside. Now, we walk every morning, and I'm up to 1.3 miles outside. The USF campus is "Florida hilly" meaning there are some noticeable slopes. I have to be careful pushing up those, but still get there. It's beautiful, with lots of trees and green spaces, ponds, fountains, ducks & geese, and lots of great landscaping. It helps me forget I'm in the middle of a major city.

Which, I realized last weekend, is one of my problems. Not only am I homesick for my family, house, town, friends, and job; I'm here in the middle of a major city. A short trip to the store, just down the street, involves a car trip with 8 lanes of traffic, 2-3 light changes per intersection, and tens of thousands of people. I'm pretty much a small town creature, living my whole life in suburbs of places like the far edge of Titusville. I get twitchy with all this humanity packed around me. So the walks around the quiet tree covered campus really help.

My eating is getting better all the time. I get a sudden urge for something and we go for it. Burrito from Taco Bell, a melted sandwich from Subway, and last night it was Pizza Hut. Sandy and I went to a matinee movie yesterday (Tuesday at 1:45, we were the only ones in the theater, which is part of my plan to keep away from germ laden crowds.) It was a rare day without a planned clinic visit so we took advantage of it. Popcorn was good, too. I still have to think through what I can, can't, and won't eat, but each day it's a little bit more, something a little bit different, and I'm working to increase my protein level every day. Remembering to drink enough is also a challenge. 

My latest unplanned trip to the clinic, today, to investigate a minor side effect was probably caused by not getting enough to drink the last two days. So I'm back to forcing down water, Gatoraid, and other juices.

I've thoroughly enjoyed visits from my family over the last two weekends. Being isolated from them is one of the biggest things I struggle with. I really appreciate all the texts and Emails I get from all of you, and really light up when I get one.

The doctors say I am doing very well, completely on track. The next month is one of gaining stamina, regaining my appetite, and staying healthy. Then we start the countdown, in early May, to see if I escape Graft vs. Host disease, or if I don't, how serious it is. Until then it's drink, eat, sleep, walk, and try to get my mind back in the game. I find that my brain is keeping parallel with my body - slowly recovering my old energy, and adding a new task or "to do" item each day. I overload, mentally as well as physically, pretty easily so I'm trying to pace myself despite my eagerness to just have this all over with.

Again, thank you for the stunning support Sandy and I are getting from all of you.

Kevin

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Kevin for writing so eloquently and your candid descriptions. I think of you often and pray for you and your dear family. Miss you buddy!

    ReplyDelete