Saturday, August 25, 2012


Not the Best of Days

News

Moffitt Cancer Center is, I think, a typical research hospital. Meaning it’s about the science, not creating a healing environment. Basically, when you’re the best, and know it, and people have no choice, you don’t have to treat them well, just treat their disease. Too bad for me, I forgot Step 3 of my own advice (Page 7-8 of my book). “You are in charge.” When we left Moffitt last Monday, they owed me three things: Results of my needle biopsy; a teleconference with the clinical trials coordinator, and an appointment with my transplant doctor. I waited all week for any of the three to happen. Finally, on Friday, I called Dr. Sotomayor’s nurse and left a message about these things. 

Yesterday late afternoon, she called back. She apologized I’d heard nothing, let me know she’d get hold of the clinical trials nurse, and casually dropped the biopsy results on me. Unfortunately, it is confirmed as relapsed MCL. A number of people including Sandy had been praying for “not cancer at all.” I sort of had my head in the place where it would be another, more treatable or less urgent kind. Well, we don’t always get what we want, to quote a famous old rock song.

She also is going to contact the transplant doctor again to try to get them to call me to set up an appointment. We had VERY poor experiences with that department last time, as far as scheduling, making calls, follow up, etc. so I don’t expect much this time.

Late that afternoon, the clinical trials nurse called. She said she’d left a message on our phone last Tuesday. Well, we did have a missed call on the Caller I.D., but no message. She couldn’t talk to me then, but we will talk Monday about clinical trial options.
So, had I started calling on Wednesday instead of waiting until Friday, I’d have the info needed on clinical trials already, my appointment scheduled, and would have the weekend to consider and plan. 

Message: YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF YOUR DISEASE. Don’t wait for them, press them to respond to you.

The Science of Cancer

So, what is cancer anyway? There are lots of web sites out there to explain. Here’s my analogy, followed by some “real” science. Cancer is basically domestic terrorism. The body’s own cells turn against it. Instead of quietly moving into a nice neighborhood, reproducing, and dying like good little citizens, they become warped, live long and breed more terrorists, and muscle in on everyone else’s business, spreading hate and discontent.  They’re hard to find, and darned hard to kill.

Something in a cell’s DNA goes whack, letting it become very prolific and unspecialized, as well as disabling the mechanism that self-regulates and ages it. So they grow like crazy, spread around other parts of the body, and interfere with the functioning of the organs they grow in.

Lymphoma is one of the three major types of “Blood Cancers”, along with Leukemia and Myeloma. Lymphoma starts, unimaginatively, in the lymph system, which is WAY more spread around the body than you’d think. We’re using to prodding our necks, maybe under the armpit, and sometimes in our groin, when we have an infection, so see if the nodes are swollen. Turns out they also run through our torso, upper thighs, etc. Since the lymph system filters blood, it’s pretty common for cancer to spread into the bone marrow, which is where the stem cells that become blood cells are born. This is why, what used to be called a “Bone Marrow Transplant” and actually involved swapping marrow around, is now called a “Stem Cell Transplant” and is done by filtering stem cells (immature blood cells) out of the donor’s blood, and putting them in the recipient through an I.V. It’s also why you hardly ever have any Stage of lymphoma other than 4, total body. Hard to catch just one lymph node before it’s spread the bad guys into the blood stream.


Is the LRF’s page on MCL. If you’re going to support a blood cancer organization, I feel this provides MUCH better bang for the buck than the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. LRF is all about putting money into researching cures and supporting scientists. L&L does GREAT work supporting patients and families, and raises tons of money and awareness, and I bless and thank the people involved. I just think the LRF has a laser focus on curing the disease.

Zen and the Art of Living With Cancer

The best thing about having cancer: hearing all the nice things people think about you without having to attend your own funeral! Last time, and now this time, it’s humbling and uplifting to find out I matter to other people, and they feel knowing me is a positive thing. Since I figured this out, I try to make an effort to be more open about letting people know they are important to me, that I’m impressed with them as they are, and telling other people positive things about them.

So, instead of just doing this with people who are sick and/or dying, why not tell ALL your friends and loved ones, regularly, how you feel about them? What a nice way to live your life, openly praising and being praised. Lesson learned.

Horrible Terrible Cancer Jokes in Bad Taste

WARNING: 37% of people will think I’m a terrible person for posting these. The other 63% will KNOW I’m terrible! I strongly recommend you don’t read these!

This stinker courtesy of my BCB (best cancer buddy) Kurt.

A guy goes to the doctor with advanced cancer. Doctor says, “Well, I think the best thing for you to do is go to a spa and take a mud bath every day.” Patient: “Will this cure my cancer?” Doc: “No, but it will get you used to the feeling of dirt.”

I warned you.

God Bless all of you who are praying, calling, emailing, and otherwise supporting us.

No comments:

Post a Comment