Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Riding The Chemo Express

"Riding my train, high on Bendamus-tine"


<<administrative note: I think I enabled the ability to comment on this blog>>






With apologies to old rock bands. Today I had my  first trip with Doc. Levine's Magical Mystery Cure. Overall the day was long but went well. Got to Space Coast Cancer Center right at 8:15, left at 5:40. Took till 9:30 before I saw Levine, quick checkup then upstairs to the infusion center (i.e. The Chemo Room). This is a very large room, maybe 30' x 80'; with two long rows of recliners, guest chairs, nurses station, etc. Was completely full, maybe 30 patients getting treatments.

Started the pre-treatment for Rituxan at around 10:15. This is mainlined Benadryl, 500mg I.V. Which makes a person about as intelligent as a tree stump. Gives you the Thousand Yard Stare. After that's in, and you've taken some Tylenol, they slowly start the Rituxan. As this is an artificial antibody (a protein) your body isn't always thrilled with the concept. The pretreatment is supposed to prevent the body from rejecting the foreign protein, by making it a blubbering idiot, at the micro level as well as the macro level.

Even though I've had Rituxan 12 times (2005-2007) my body turns out to be pretty darn smart. Yup, it got angry at the invader and tried to throw it off, literally. If you've never had uncontrollable chills, about halfway to an epileptic event, think about those mechanical bulls you see on T.V. in cowboy bars. I was sitting on the throne in the bathroom when it hit, and was barely able to make myself decent and call for help. I put my knuckle in my mouth to stop my teeth from crashing together. They stop the Rituxan, give you MORE Benadryl IV, believe or not, Pectin, the fruit canning stuff, more tylenol, blankets, hot water bottles, and time for it to stop.

One I was over it, we started again, and no problems rest of the day. Nurse says people who haven't had Rituxan in years can do this. Confirmed. 

Rest was just sitting in a recliner for 7 hours, sometimes coherent enough to read or email or text, other times watching Channel 13 (6 news cycles per hour, all day. Gack.). And listening to annoying old people talk annoyingly loudly on cells phones about trivial things for 2 hours at a time. More Gack.

On the other hand, I ALWAYS hear inspirational stories, am blown away by the casual, everyday courage these folks have, and hear people talking about God right out in the open like it's a routine thing. Which it should be. You can spot the poor, new folks right away, they and their spouses have a bewildered, shell shocked, hesitant look and manner. My heart breaks for these people, many of them my age or younger. Getting cancer sucks like a 10 horse shop vac, and "the whirlwind" I mentioned before is a staggering life event that makes strong people weak, and weak people helpless.

Was great getting the bandage off my surgical site. Chest hair growing under a tight bandage was actually a form of medieval torture.

Tonite I'm a bit tired, not too hungry, ready to kick back at home. Slightly thick headed, (shut up. Just don't say it!), ready for bed in a while.

Tomorrow, 2 hours of Bendamustine, quick visit with surgeon to check the incisions, off to work.

So the process of kicking Cancer's butt began today.


Today's Funny

This isn't the treatment. This is the stuff to mitigate the potential side effects of the treatment. Some of it you take two times a day. I have a basket left over from last time, it all barely fits in there.






1 comment: